Building our vocabulary
I came up with most of these a few years ago and posted them on my blog piecemeal. Here they are in one place:
leprokhan, n. 1. an Irish gnome misspelt; 2. a Mongol ruler with skin condition.
vegetarian, n. a person who avoids meat and eats only vegetables.
seminarian, n. a person who eats only seeds.
Schwarzeneggerländer, n. An inhabitant of California.
Leningrad, prop. n. former name of city of St. Petersburg, Russia, from 1924 to 1991.
Undergrad, prop. n. the St. Petersburg subway system.
Koyzistan, prop. n. A former Soviet republic in central Asia.
Paradigms, pl. n. for definition click here.
Bebop, n. 1. a sophisticated type of jazz developed after the Second World War, employing experimental tonal and rhythmic forms; 2. the name of one of the juvenile dinosaurs in Barney and Friends.
Parallel fifths, pl. n. (music), for definition click here.
Relativism, n. a variant of ancestor worship.
faux pas, n. surrogate dads.
Broadmindedness, n. the mental state predisposing one to accept the truth claims of a plethora of mutually incompatible reductionisms.
Narrowmindedness, n. the stubborn refusal to admit that the sheer variety in the cosmos might be reduced to a single key element.
- ► 2021 (98)
- ► 2020 (70)
- ► 2019 (14)
- ► 2018 (25)
- ► 2017 (25)
- ► 2016 (29)
- ► 2015 (18)
- ► 2014 (27)
- ► 2013 (46)
- ► 2012 (53)
- ► 2011 (68)
- ► 2010 (109)
- ► 2009 (123)
- Unnormed tolerance A régime of imposed tolerance ...
- Normed tolerance At the weekend I was privileged ...
- Tragic conflict This is a sad testimony to the wo...
- Famagusta footage It's remarkable what one can fi...
- Just war or cost-effective war? The Frontier Cent...
- Building our vocabulary I came up with most of th...
- The danger of sects Fr. Raniero Cantalamessa is t...
- No more chariots of fire please. . . It seems tha...
- Ethnic nationalism and the 'normal' state Given m...
- The penny revisited If some Canadians find the lo...
- "Religion is life . . ." Could Rod Dreher have be...
- A sad anniversary Forty years ago today the Rev. ...
- More on Obama's pastor The Acton Institute's Anth...
- An end to division? Back in 1995, during our visi...
- Um, I don't get it. . . Methinks the Russian news...
- A penny saved . . . It's about time: MP to introd...
- Turning to the faith When someone, or even a grou...
- ▼ April (17)
- ► 2007 (263)
- ► 2006 (281)
- ► 2005 (580)
- ► 2004 (700)