25 April 2023

Raskolnikov and Resurrection

Christian Courier has just posted my April column: Raskolnikov and Resurrection, with this subtitle: "The greatest of literature points us to the One who was raised from the dead that we too might live eternally." Here is an excerpt:

Many years ago, when I was still a graduate student, I decided to read some of the major Russian novels of the 19th and 20th centuries. It’s taken me decades, but I finally got to Fyodor Dostoevsky’s Crime and Punishment (1866). The story is set in the imperial capital of St. Petersburg. Rodion Romanovich Raskolnikov has recently abandoned his university studies and is living hand to mouth in a rented room. Intellectually gifted, he is subject to frequent bouts of fever and depression.

Read the entire article here.

3 comments:

Mark said...

I have long been grateful for your blog, Dr. Koyzis. I recently finished "Crime and Punishment" too! I enjoyed it, but not as much as I anticipated that I would since it is so praised. What is your favorite Russian historical (redemptive themes) novel? "Brothers Karamazov" I consider equal to "Crime and Punishment"...I actually enjoyed "Resurrection" by Tolstoy even more for some reason. I've also read "The Death of Ivan Ilyich", but the Tolstoy short story that moved me the most was "Master and Man"--so good. I did an abridged form of "War and Peace" and "The Cossacks" I enjoyed thoroughly, but I must confess that this has all been audiobooks...I also recently heard that Pushkin's novels often had redemptive themes, I think I heard that on a Collin Hansen podcast...but yes, which of the Russian novels are your favorites?

David Koyzis said...

Mark, my all-time favourite is Ivan Turgenev's Fathers and Sons, which plays a role in my unpublished novel manuscript, which I hope to get to after I finish writing my current book. I love his characterization of Bazarov, who is both hero and antihero and anticipates a generation of revolutionaries who would upend Russia decades later. I highly recommend. It's much shorter than the classics you mention.

Mark said...

Ah, thank you Dr. Koyzis for this recommendation! I will read it! But, probably via audiobook.

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Contact at: dtkoyzis at gmail dot com