26 August 2004

Changes in UK abortion law?

Some people have had their minds changed on the abortion issue through the experience of a premature birth. If enough people undergo this or hear of such cases, a consensus might be built to change the law, as indicated here: "MPs call for abortion law review."

Nigel Jones, the Liberal Democrat MP for Cheltenham, said his daughters, due to go to university next month, were both born 10 weeks early in 1986.

"I have never been anti-abortion and am still not against a woman's right to choose," he said. "But the fact that foetuses almost as old as my daughters were when they were born early can be terminated does make me feel that it is time to reconsider the law."

Both girls, Amy and Lucy, achieved five As in their A-levels this week. Mr Jones said: "I am so proud of them and for me they are a symbol of why the law must be reviewed."

In this case, Jones was moved from a pro-choice stance to one marginally less so. I myself have long been pro-life, but the birth of our Theresa at 26 weeks brought the issue much closer to my heart. Here once again is her story: "A Smile From the Womb." Incidentally, this essay, originally published in The New Oxford Review, will soon be republished in a high school ethics anthology by Christian Schools International.

Thanks to the formidable Mr. James Brink for calling this to our attention.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Contact at: dtkoyzis at gmail dot com