18 August 2004

Maps and music

I have added two links to my sidebar. The first of these is for the classic Shepherd's Historical Atlas, which was first published the better part of a century ago, went through several editions, and is now posted at the website of the University of Texas library. I have long had an affinity for maps in general and for historical atlases in particular. Here is a Shepherd map of the distribution of the "races" (i.e., ethno-linguistic groups) in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, as found in the 1911 edition:



The second link is to the Cyprus music page on Kypros-net. It contains ancient hymns and kalanta (carols) for the holy days of the church year, folk songs and popular music. I especially like the music of Mihalis Violaris, which I've enjoyed since I was in my teens.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Contact at: dtkoyzis at gmail dot com