28 May 2003

A pro-life parable from Dr. Seuss?

I have no idea whether the late Theodore S. Geisel, better known to one and all as Dr. Seuss, was pro-life on the abortion issue. But as I was reading his Horton Hears a Who to Theresa this evening, it struck me that it could be interpreted as a pro-life parable: "A person's a person, no matter how small!" Surely I am not the only one to have noticed this? However, given that it was written 19 years before the infamous Roe v. Wade decision by the United States Supreme Court, and 34 years before Canada's Morgenthaler v. the Queen, the connection is almost certainly inadvertent.

Whenever I read this story, I almost always hear as the voice of Horton the elephant that of the late character actor, Edward Everett Horton. I think it's more than just the similarity of name.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Contact at: dtkoyzis at gmail dot com