01 October 2003

Children and languages

Our Theresa, who turns 5 next month, has recently become fascinated with languages. It all started some time ago when we checked out of the local public library a video that uses the immersion method to teach modern Greek. She quickly picked up the colours and could easily count to ten. By July, when we were visiting relatives in the States, she could count to 40 in Greek -- which thrilled my relatives on my dad's side. Then there's her French video, which has children singing bilingual songs about shopping, playing at the beach, visiting the zoo, &c. We also checked out a library book for children teaching the rudiments of French.

During my parents' visit over the weekend, my father sat with Theresa and talked with her in both French and Greek, and she understood quite easily and responded accordingly. Now she is constantly asking me questions such as "What is computer in Greek?" or "What's book in Dutch?" or "What does no comprendo mean?" Thus far I've been able to answer most of her queries. But eventually she will discover that there are thousands of languages in the world, most of which her father doesn't know.

I've always enjoyed languages, and now my daughter is picking up the interest as well. She is at an age when this sort of thing comes naturally, so now is the time for us to take advantage of this.

A few weeks ago I found myself talking with a friend in Toronto who, along with her husband, is homeschooling their children. When I told her of Theresa's predilections and abilities, she informed me that Nancy and I are effectively homeschooling Theresa. I hadn't thought of that before, but perhaps there's something to it.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Contact at: dtkoyzis at gmail dot com