29 April 2003

More good news out of Cyprus in tomorrow's edition of The Times: "Cyprus sees ‘Berlin Wall’ begin to crumble." it seems the Turkish Cypriot authorities are now allowing visits from the south for up to three nights. Up until now, and as of last wednesday, visits had to end before midnight. This is all happening so quickly. I have to pinch myself to be sure it's really happening. I wish I could be there. I'd love to go visit my father's hometown in the north. A few years ago I composed a song dedicated to this village for my daughter and in honour of her grandfather. (You may have to click on it more than once before it will play.)

It was the events of 1974 in Cyprus that in part moved me in the direction of studying political science while a university undergrad. I didn't actually make it to the island until 1995. While there I was able to ascend to the top storey of a building in Dherynia and look over the green line into the abandoned city of Famagusta, where my father grew up. I was so close and yet so far. I'd love to go back now and see all this happening.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Contact at: dtkoyzis at gmail dot com