19 July 2004

Getting to know old friends again

Over the weekend Theresa was ill, and Nancy and I didn't feel exactly on top of things either. We spent a lot of time resting and listening to music, mostly on my 30-year-old stereo which I recently set up again. Among the music we listened to are the following: Aram Khachaturian's lively Violin Concerto (which the composer subsequently adapted for flute at the request of the great Jean-Pierre Rampal), Ralph Vaughan Williams' English Folk Song Suite and Fantasia on the Old 104th Psalm Tune, Nikos Skalkottas' Three Greek Dances, Kurt Weill's Mac the Knife, Mikhail Glinka's Jota Aragonesa, Antonio Vivaldi's guitar (read: lute) concerti, Burt Bacharach's Make It Easy on Yourself (quintessential '60s popular music!), Joaquin Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez for guitar and orchestra, and more than one album of Russian folk music. Much of this is on vinyl and I thus had not heard it in years. I feel a little as though I am reacquainting myself with some wonderful old friends from my youth, as well as introducing them to my daughter.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Contact at: dtkoyzis at gmail dot com