02 August 2005

The ICR: a viable alternative?

Someone responded to my request for biblically consistent resources on dinosaurs by referring me to the Institute for Creation Research, an organization of which I know little other than its name and less than positive reputation in most scientific circles. After perusing some of its materials on dinosaurs, I would judge that this group's approach seems to amount to: (1) denying the evidence for the great age of the earth and its fossilized creatures, (2) denying that there was ever a time when mostly dinosaurs inhabited the earth, (3) affirming, against considerable evidence to the contrary, that human beings and dinosaurs cohabited earth, (4) finding evidence for dinosaurs in the Bible (e.g., Job's leviathan and behemoth), (5) ascribing the various sedimentary layers in the earth's rock formations to the biblical flood, and (6) reading the Bible in a woodenly literal way as if it were a scientific treatise. While not wishing to impugn the sincerity of the good people at the ICR, I am inclined to think an approach is needed which better accounts for empirical evidence as well as for the different literary genres in scripture itself. At the same time, as I admitted earlier, I am hardly an expert in this field.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Contact at: dtkoyzis at gmail dot com