29 September 2026

Nederland 2026, 5: Theologische Universiteit Utrecht

Utrecht is a city of 378,000 people, the capital and largest city of the province of Utrecht. It is the home of University of Utrecht, established in 1636. The city itself is nearly 2,000 years old, dating to Roman times, although it did not receive official city status until 1122. It is the fourth largest city in the Netherlands and for centuries has been the centre of Christianity in that country. In 1579 the Union of Utrecht federated several northern provinces of the Low Countries in opposition to Spanish rule. Another Union of Utrecht brought together dissidents from the First Vatican Council in 1889, creating the Old Catholic Churches, which are not in communion with Rome but have been in ecclesiastical fellowship with the Anglican Communion since 1931.

On wednesday evening of 16 September the first of my speaking engagements took place at the Theologische Universiteit Utrecht (TUU), which had moved to this city from its previous home in Kampen, a much smaller city some 80 kilometres northeast. The move has been an altogether positive one for the institution, considerably boosting its student numbers. Prior to this event, several of us ate supper together at an Indian restaurant. Although a double interview with Gert-Jan Segers, former member of the Second Chamber and head of ChristenUnie, was to have taken place between supper and my address, this had to be postponed for lack of sufficient time. The interview has now been rescheduled and will occur online.

I was introduced by George Harinck, director of the Neo-Calvinism Research Institute and Rector Magnificus at TUU, and by Segers. My address covered the subject of my first book, Political Visions and Illusions. In it I discussed something of how I came to be interested in politics in my youth, and especially its relationship to the Christian faith. I am not so good at gauging the size of an audience short of taking the time to count everyone, but there was a good turnout. Some great questions were asked, and I tried my best to respond to them. Refreshments were served afterwards. Then  I was driven to my second hotel in Nijkerk, where I stayed for the remainder of my visit.

Here are some photographs of Utrecht and of the event at TUU:






Notice the portrait of theologian Herman Bavinck (1854-1921) on the wall to my left: 


 

Here is my second host for the week, Floris Wagenaar, with whom I shared some wonderful conversations. A very thoughtful and kind man, with whom I have had contact before, both online and in Canada.


The following day we were off to Den Haag (or The Hague), the seat of the Dutch government, and then to Amersfoort, where I talked at the Scientific Institute of the ChristenUnie.

Next: Nederland 2026, 6: Tweede Kamer

Previous posts in series  

1 comment:

Kim Batteau said...

Thanks, David, for your running commentary on your trip, and the marvelous photos! I am a retired minister of the NGK churches and have lived here since 1974. I too have been deeply influenced by Kuyper, and admire Bavinck, too.

I hope the rest of your trip is enriching and fun!
Kim Batteau

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Contact at: dtkoyzis at gmail dot com