25 May 2003

The comics page

Ever since Gary Larson stopped drawing "The Far Side," I've had no real reason to turn to the comics page of the local newspaper. But now Theresa has taken an interest in the colour comics in the saturday edition. I don't know whether it's my imagination, but they don't seem as humorous as they did when I was growing up. Perhaps there are only so many gags in the world, and the creators of the various comic strips have simply run out of material. Or it may be that I am simply older and not as easily amused by them.

Of course, Dick Tracy, Li'l Abner, Smokey Stover and Pogo are long gone. But I am amazed at the number of strips that keep going even after their originators have passed from the scene. Dennis the Menace and Blondie come to mind.

Then there is the late Charles M. Schulz's beloved Peanuts, which is now in "reruns."

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Contact at: dtkoyzis at gmail dot com