14 August 2003

Now I remember

I now recall one personal debt to the Methodists that I didn't think of yesterday. Methodism, of course, has its roots in Anglicanism, and Methodist hymnals typically have a large number of Anglican hymns, which I learned to love during my time with the heirs of the Wesleys.

Remarkably, I think the first time I ever sang "For All the Saints" was at Park Avenue United Methodist Church in south Minneapolis. How I happened to miss this in my previous twenty years I do not know. The text is found in the first edition of the OPC's Trinity Hymnal, although there it is not set to Ralph Vaughan Williams' glorious tune, Sine Nomine, but to Joseph Barnaby's less compelling Sarum, which I can't remember having sung as a child.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Contact at: dtkoyzis at gmail dot com