01 April 2004

Cyprus to remain divided?

The prospects for a reunified Cyprus do not look good at the moment: "Divided Cyprus split over UN plan."

In the view of Greek Cypriot refugee Orania this contravenes EU principles and makes Greek Cypriots second class citizens. "After 1 May I will be able to settle anywhere I like in Europe, but I won't have the right to return to the Turkish Cypriot state where I was born," she said. "So why should I vote for it?"

Impatience within the Greek-Cypriot community to have everything they wanted right away led to the current division of the island in the first place. Let's hope and pray that Greek-Cypriots can bring themselves, for once, to accept a less than perfect political arrangement as a place to start -- as the beginning of an ongoing conversation with their Turkish-Cypriot fellow citizens over the future of a united island.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Contact at: dtkoyzis at gmail dot com