13 July 2006

More additions to psalter

I have added three more pieces to my Genevan Psalter website: the canticle from Jonah 2:2-9, and the two Pauline hymns from Philippians 2:6-11 and Colossians 1:15-20.

My versification for the Song of Jonah I wrote back in 1982, before I was acquainted with the tunes of the Genevan Psalter. Accordingly it is written in the double common metre (DCM) ubiquitous in the English psalters and hymnals of the 16th and 17th centuries. The tune is OLD 18TH from the English Psalter of 1561, with a slight altering of the arrangement from the Scottish Psalter of 1929.

The versification of the Philippians hymn I wrote around 1984 and it was subsequently published in the grey Psalter Hymnal of the Christian Reformed Church. I had chosen Orlando Gibbons' SONG 34 as the tune to which it should be set, but I was overruled by the committee, which chose Joseph P. Holbrook's rather pedestrian tune, BISHOP, instead. However, when the Mennonites republished my text a few years later, they did indeed use the Gibbons tune, to my delight.

My versification for the Colossians hymn I wrote in 1992 and sang with guitar accompaniment along with my sister at a church event near Boston that summer. I chose another Gibbons tune, SONG 1, for this text. It has thus far not been published in any hymnals, but it is meant as a complement to the Philippians hymn.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Contact at: dtkoyzis at gmail dot com